Brawlhalla is a fighting game and they’re known for their variety. Featuring a large roster of characters, the goal of the developers is to offer something that suits the playstyle and aesthetics of everyone and allows players to switch between different characters in order for the overall experience to remain fresh. Brawlhalla is no exception to this rule and to this day, it has 52 playable characters which it refers to as ‘Legends’.
The game is free-to-play and fighting games are something that immediately gets destroyed if they tread even remotely close to the pay-to-win part of things. That’s why the game does not sell any upgrades for the characters that would contribute towards the gameplay balance in any way.
Instead, all of the characters are naturally locked and have to be unlocked to be playable. And once you have the characters, all you can buy further from the in-game shops are cosmetics that change the skins of your characters and the weapons that they use. There are also a few more upgrades such as the color of your name and the rank badges changing – but that’s mostly gained by playing ranked rather than gaining a purchase-able currency.
So, how do you unlock the playable characters in Brawlhalla? Let’s find out.
Unlocking Characters with in-game currency
This is the ‘normal’ way to unlock legends in Brawlhalla and also the way that takes the longest, as you will find yourself grinding for the ideal amount of in-game currency that you require. While the game has three different types of in-game currencies, it’s the Gold coins that are used to purchase legends with, and are the easiest to earn within the game. Mammoth coins cannot be earned at all, and the Glory coins are only earned through winning Ranked games.
There are a few different ways to earn the Gold coins, which are:
- Daily Missions – The game has consistently changed Daily Missions that you can play for both entertainment and earning a bit of Gold on the side.
- Tutorial – If you’re a new player, then you can earn Gold even by completing the tutorial. Pretty easy way to get a head-start for your starting champion.
- Log-in Bonuses – You get Gold in the game solely for logging in daily too. There’s a little bit of it every day, so if you don’t mind the hassle of having to log-in daily, you’ll be treated to a bit of money. And, of course, if you’re a regular player then this isn’t even something you’d need to go out of your way for!
- Brawl of the Week Challenges – There are weekly challenges as well which are also consistently updated whenever it is the time for them. Completing those naturally provides you with more gold than the daily ones, but the frequency is also limited as a result.
- Playing and winning matches – There’s a little bit of gold gained every time you perform well in a match, so just playing the game, in general, gets you a little bit of gold too. It’s the slowest method by far, but having it slowly pile up is still pretty useful, especially since the game keeps adding new characters every once in a while.
So, once you have enough Gold you can head to the shop and buy the character of your choice. Even if you end up buying all of the characters, it’s still not a waste to earn more Gold because, as I mentioned, there are always more characters being added to the game.
There is another important detail, which is the price of the Legends which you can purchase from the coins. It works like this:
- When newly released, the Legend costs 7200 Gold coins for a while.
- In two weeks, the price of the latest Legend will drop down to 4500 Gold coins.
- After that, it remains a bit variable based on when a legend was released. But it can vary between 3900, 2300, and 900. This makes it easier to gain some of the characters, which is a great thing to have early on in the game.
Buying a Pack
If you’re not a fan of all the grinding or want to give a little bit of money to the developers in support – there is another way to unlock all of the legends, without having to spend time earning the in-game Gold coins. That is by buying one of the special packs of the game which offer many different rewards to the player. These packs are:
- All Legends Pack – This one is pretty self-explanatory. As soon as you buy the pack, every single character in the game unlocks for you. Not only that, but you will instantly be given every future character to be added in the game too. Forever.
- Collectors Pack – This pack gives you 3500 Mammoth coins and all of the benefits of the ‘All Legends’ pack too. You also get a couple of different skins, some of which are exclusive to this pack, once you purchase it.
Question and Answers
You must have two questions after reading about the packs, I’ll answer both.
Q. What do I do with the Gold that I earn in the game if I don’t even have to spend on the future Legends once I buy the All Legends Pack?
A. Coins are still used to buy different colors, which is particularly useful due to the fact the game also has ‘seasonal’ colors that act as a souvenir for you to keep for the years to come. Some of them will definitely be a rarity at some point.
Q. What happens if I buy the Collectors Pack when I have already purchased the All Legends pack?
A. You will gain 540 extra Mammoth Coins which cost nearly $20 dollars if you buy them individually, as compensation for you already owning the All Legends pack.
There is something that should be noted for people who intend to purchase the game on the PlayStation 4 platform. The ‘Collectors Pack’ is called the ‘Founders Pack’ on the PlayStation Store, which was the new name given to it when the game originally exited the beta phase on the console.
Buying with Mammoth Coins
A third alternative for buying Legends faster but not having to buy all of them – is to buy Mammoth coins individually. You can buy any character that you want immediately with real-world money in this case and won’t have to wait for earning the Gold coins on your own.
Besides the Legends, you can buy cosmetic items, crossover characters, and some other stuff.
These are all the ways that you can unlock Brawlhalla characters with! We hope you found the one most suitable for you and we’re here to answer any questions that you might have. And while you’re here, make sure to check out some of our other Brawlhalla guides too!